Founded in 1948, the Rochdale Motor Panels and Engineering company is probably best remembered for its Olympic coupe produced between 1959 and 1973. They started out as a motor repairs company but later went on to produce numerous vehicles starting in 1954 with Mark IV.

Founded in 1948, the Rochdale Motor Panels and Engineering company is probably best remembered for its Olympic coupe produced between 1959 and 1973. They started out as a motor repairs company but later went on to produce numerous vehicles starting in 1954 with Mark IV. Known mainly for their glass fibre bodied vehicles, Rochdale Motor Panels and Engineering can best be remembered for its Olympic model, which was first introduced in 1959. The vehicle was only the third glass fibre monocoque bodied car to enter production and featured wind down windows, a feature that was unusual at the time for many sports and low production cars. About 400 vehicles were made between 1959 and 1973. Due to the vehicles popularity both left and right hand drive versions were made and a great number of units were exported to countries such as United States and Australia. The Phase II Olympic was introduced in 1963 during the London Racing Car Show. It could reach 114mph with a 0-60mph time of under 11 seconds. Only 150 were ever built each selling for £930. Although the Olympic was the most popular Rochdale car, the 1957 Rochdale GT was their best-selling one. About 1350 units of the GT were made. Whilst the cars manufactured by Rochdale Motor Panels and Engineering were not the most luxurious, they will forever remain a favourite among classic car enthusiasts.